TenTec

Re: [TenTec] Low (to no) Power Out Omni D--han'nt given up yet

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Low (to no) Power Out Omni D--han'nt given up yet
From: "Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 16:42:53 +0100
Mike, there's a misunderstanding somewhere.
I've said from the get go that there must be 10w coming out of the LLD
board.
I have often connected the LLD of a Triton directly to the LPF board and run
10w QRP for a contest.

Scott already tried connecting the LLD directly to the LPF and he got
peanuts out.
He has a problem in a much earlier stage.

What we need to know is the power level expected going into the LLD.
I have never measured that and have no idea what it is.

Scott needs to get in there with a scope and start checking the
amplification, stage by stage.

Can't remember who said this earlier, but "Outza has to be much higher than
Inza" for each stage.

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THAT SCOTT UNSOLDER THE WIRE SUPPLYING THE +12V TO THE
FINAL STAGE, AND NOT RECONNECT IT UNTIL HE HAS 10W COMING OUT OF THE LLD.
Connecting the LLD directly to the LPF will give the LLD a good enough
impedance match to be able to check the earlier stages.

Of course if there is a problem in the LPF stage, that could be distorting
our results.
It would be worth a try to connect the output of the LPF directly to a watt
metter/dummy load.
It's easy enough to do.  Most likely the Omni has an RCA Phono plug on the
end of its LLD output coax cable.
That's very easy to extend outside of the box.

The input to the PA module is roughly 50 Ohms so your suggestion to connect
a QRP rig is a good one, but I would not do that yet.  We've already
ascertained that the LLD is not delivering what it should, so Scott needs to
start there in the earlier stages.

What would really help now is to have a good working Omni to compare signal
levels with, but using a scope, not a volt meter.

73
Rick