TenTec

[TenTec] Argosy arrived, now I need accessories

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Argosy arrived, now I need accessories
From: caitlyn@netferrets.net (Caitlyn Martin)
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 11:10:46 -0400
Hi, Michael,

> Hope you are getting the model 220 8-pole SSB filter to REPLACE the stock
> 4-pole, if it hasn't already been replaced.  If you do replace that
filter,
> know that Ten-Tec recommends resetting the carrier oscillator trimmers.
It
> is an easy job if you have access to a frequency counter.

Lovely.  I am completely non-technical when it comes to these things.  I
wouldn't trust myself to do it, and don't have a frequency counter.  I had
planned on doing that replacement, since I've heard from a number of sources
that it dramatically improves performance.

Is the same true of the Inrad filters?  Does anyone know for sure?  If so,
would Ten Tec make the adjustments for me for a nominal fee?

> The audio CW filter is available as a kit under license from Ten-Tec (I'm
> told) and sold by Embedded Research for $40.  Here is the URL to their
home
> page:
>   http://www.frontiernet.net/~embres/products.htm

Yes, but it's a kit, and that gets back to being completely non-technical
again.  OK, I fit the stereotype for female ham operators, but I am in this
hobby for the communication and public service aspects, not to learn
practical electronics.  I will wait until I find a used one or do without

> The noise blankers for the Argosy have never done much for me -- don't get
> too worked-up about finding one.

Some noise blanker is always better than none.

>The calibrator is really nifty, though.
>Hope you can find one.

The calibrator seems to be a must to me.  OK, I can calibrate on the 30
meter band by zero beating WWV, but for the other bands...

>Personally, I find that I have more fun and more
> QSO's with an analog rig.  With a digital one, I tend to stay below a
> certain frequency.  With an analog rig, I tend to tune around more and
find
> interesting folks to talk with

I have always had a thing for the look of analog rigs, provided that you
could get an accurate frequency readout.  I always liked the old Yaesu FT-7
for the display, for example.  I hated the absoulte lack of filtering beyond
the stock SSB filter or QRM fighting tools.

> One accessory you left off your list is the amplifier switching board
model
> 1126.  It has a little relay and is used to switch a non-QSK amplifier.
It
> provides an adjustable drop-out delay, just like the big rigs.

I left it out on purpose.  I have never run an amplifier, and don't plan to
at any time in the future.  Another aspect of this hobby that I really enjoy
is QRP.  One thing I really, really like about the Argosy is that I can
operate at 5 watts at the push of a slide switch, yet if someone is having a
hard time hearing me and I want to make the QSO, I can up the power
accurately and so easily.

>Unless you intend to use the rig from some other
>supply, you will not need the breaker.

I'd like to be able to run off battery under emergency conditions, and then
I do need it.  Most of the time, though, I will be running with the 225

Thanks for all your input.  I really do appreciate it.

73,
Caity
KU4QD