TenTec

Re: [TenTec] question

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] question
From: "Bob McGraw - K4TAX" <RMcGraw@Blomand.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 18:50:18 -0600
Per the Omni VII manual the cables are as follows;

White = pin 1 on the DIN connector = Line level input to radio
Yellow = pin 4 on the DIN connector = Line level output to computer
Red = pin 5 on the DIN connector = FSK  {not used}
Black = pin 3 on the DIN connector = PTT  {not used}

I have found that standard 1/8" phone plugs on one cable end and male RCA
plugs on the other end, i.e. standard audio cables from Radio Shack, will
plug direct into the sound card jacks and to the Tentec supplied cable.  No
interface is needed as one should connect line in to line out and line out
to line in.  Both ends are unbalanced and as long as the computer and the
radio share the same 3rd pin ground connection, which they should, no
interface or hum problems or RFI is experienced.  Thus, no transformers, no
level controls, no attenuators.  Otherwise, it doesn't get any simpler than
this.  On the radio, via the menu, be sure to turn on the line input and
turn off the mike input.

I operate PSK-31, RTTY and PACTOR with this configuration.  I allow the VOX
to handle the TX/RX switching by setting the VOX Hang to 0%.  Adjust the
line gain for some 75% and adjust the sound card level via the internal
mixer so as to drive at a level that causes the ALC led to just flicker and
then back off a wee bit.  For receive, adjust the mixer line input for the
correct level as required by the software.  I use MixW2 for my applications.

Some have said that a transformer is needed for isolation.  I have yet to
conclude any reason for the extra parts.

73
Bob,  K4TAX