TenTec

[TenTec] what to do?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] what to do?
From: seay@alaska.net (Del Seay)
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 14:05:10 -0800
Hi Doug: I won't get into the contest of  whether you
should trade or not. All I can do is to let you know my experience as an
owner of both.
The OMNI-6 is a much better radio, but there are
places that the OMNI-V cleans it's clock.

OMNI-V:
    Great QSK and keying
     Easier to use, due to all functions are handles by
     controls instead of a menu.
     Has bad birdie problem.
     Heterodyne oscillators need periodic alignment to
     keep calibration correct.
     Has a calendar for us dummies who can't
     remember the GMT date.

OMNI-6+:
     Of course has DSP
     Many more functions with optional filters, tuning
     rates, etc..
     Has cured the birdie problem.
     Heterodyne oscillators are phase locked to a clock
     and very seldom need setting.
     Keying and QSK are not up to the OMNI-V
     quality. The leading edge of the waveform is
     almost vertical. QSK is pumpy, not what you find
     in the five. (The above have been addressed on
     this reflector as to cures. Mine is now much better)

There you go, Doug. This is my experience, and I
think you'll find the same comments from most of the
guys who have owned both.
73,  de KL7HF