TenTec

Re: [TenTec] Ten Tec and Butternut HF6V Problem And Question

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Ten Tec and Butternut HF6V Problem And Question
From: "Stuart Rohre" <rohre@arlut.utexas.edu>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 16:25:37 -0500
Hi Dan, I have not mentioned did you measure SWR with same coax and at same
end of coax as where Ten Tec was connected?  Or have you changed jumpers
anywhere in system as you swapped rigs?  Many times bad tune up indication
is a bad coax jumper or connector.

How about measuring both at the antenna with short jumper as I mentioned and
at shack end, and compare.  I bet one is off...at antenna.
The longer coax to rig could be masking the high resistance problem you may
have in antenna joints for those band traps.  HF 6 also has a history of
problems with the ceramic caps.  The former owner of the company lived down
here and told our club about the cap problem in one of his presentations on
the owning of an antenna company.

You do not want steel wool, which can rust to get stuck in the interface
between two aluminum pieces.  Steel wool readily comes apart in use.   You
will then introduce rust and poor appearing brown stains to the vertical
aluminum parts.  Scotch brite is preferred material for polishing aluminum
parts.

My local ham buddy finally got rid of his HF 6 for Force 12 verticals.  Much
easier to set up!

73,
Stuart
K5kVH