TenTec

Re: [TenTec] Mics

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Mics
From: Robert & Linda McGraw K4TAX <RMcGraw@Blomand.Net>
Date: Sat, 04 Feb 2006 17:09:00 -0600
While most of the suggestions regarding determining mike quality and such
see reasonable, I would point out that "listening to ones self via phones"
is not a very accurate way to make a judgment.  Why?  Because the voice is
conducted to the ears via two paths.  One is via the headphones; and two, by
bone conduction through the head.  The second one is always there.

A better system, use a cassette recorder connected to the MONITOR out of the
radio, record a piece and then play it back using the headphones to listen
if you wish.  That will give a much more accurate determination of "what you
actually sound like on the air".  You'll be surprised too.

If you choose to use another receiver then connect the recorder to the
output of that receiver record a bit and then play it back.  I realize that
one will need to make several test recordings in more of a trial and error
approach with different mikes, different mike positions, different EQ  and
such to get the "best" combination.

Talking and listening at the same time doesn't give a very accurate
representation.

73
Bob, K4TAX