TenTec

[TenTec] Long mic cables for Studio 1 on boom

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Long mic cables for Studio 1 on boom
From: Robert & Linda McGraw K4TAX <RMcGraw@Blomand.Net>
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2005 16:49:50 -0500
The word NORMAL and XLR are confusing to most folks as they think that XLR's
are 3 pin connectors.  Well, XLR's are made normally with 3 pins, normally
with 4 pins and normally with 5 pins depending on the application required.
All of these are normal.

As to wire, there's good wire and cheap wire.  You pay a lot more for good
wire.  Star Quad cable is great for producing good RF immunity and good
flexibility.

As to the length of microphone lines,  I frequently run lines in excess of
100 ft with NO RF issues.  Of course I use very good wire and good
installation techniques.  Most folks think that the shield should be
connected at both ends.  Not so, just one end only.  If you need ground
continuity then there must be a separate wire inside the shield for this
application.  Remember, the shield is simply that, a shield.  It should not
be a current carrying conductor.

Analog audio and Tentec forever.
73
Bob, K4TAX