TenTec

[TenTec] Scout VS. DX-77

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Scout VS. DX-77
From: Walter Dufrain" <walter@inlink.com (Walter Dufrain)
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 08:40:52 -0500
Hi Jason and All,

Before the screaming starts,  I own FOUR Ten Tec HF rigs and use
them all the time in both the QTH and mobile. Just for the record,
there is NO better QSK than Ten Tec, in a commercial rig.

But, on the other hand, the Scout is a great SSB rig with excellent
audio, and you will hardly ever notice you are running 50 watts
instead of 100 watts. For CW, the Scout I owned (now sold) the
drifting of the "huff & puff" frequency control was more than I
could stand. If you are running CW then surely you can spot a
Scout on the air by the freq drift. If you are going to stay on one
band then the band modules will not be a problem for you, to me
its a crude way of producing a rig. It is a CW & SSB only rig.

Also in the shack is an Alinco DX-77T which has been in operation
for over a year. No problems, and the reason it is in the shack is for
160,30,17, 12 meters and SWL listening that I can't get on my TT's.
The rig has good audio on SSB, the CW has QSK but it is very
noisey or you can select semi-QSK and poke along. The CW
narrow filter and IF tuning do a great job and the receiver is much
better than expected. It is an all-mode HF transceiver.

Bottom line is both rigs have short comings, and Ten Tec is missing
a very valuable nitche in the market by not upgrading the Scout to a
transceiver that has NO plug-in modules and better frequency
control.

73         Walter Dufrain, AG5P                Wright City, Missouri