TenTec

[TenTec] Omni QSK with Alpha's 87A QSK

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Omni QSK with Alpha's 87A QSK
From: paulc@mediaone.net (Paul Christensen)
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 1998 17:58:53 -0400
I agree that there's nothing stooping hams from being inventive even with
the new, modern generation of transceivers.

I believe that the amplifier interface confusion is the result of Ten-Tec's
progressive use of the TX OUT and TX ACK lines.  Ten-Tec makes excellent use
of this with their own amplifiers and it becomes impossible to hot-switch
their amplifiers with this technique.  As you implied, there is no industry
standard for amplifier interfacing.

As I indicated in an earlier post today, interfacing the Omni 6/6+ into an
Alpha or any other late-generation amplifier is easy, and allows for very
fast, silent QSK switching.  It's too easy to ignore!  Ample time is given
to allow RF to ramp up after the collector pulls to ground, thereby
eliminating any hot-switching.  So, then why doesn't Ten-Tec allow the
option of either relay or open-collector amp switching?  The answer is easy:
too many Omnis would be going back to the factory for those ops who would
otherwise negligently drive their 120VAC-switched amps with an open
collector.  If this technique is used judiciously and with a good basic
understanding of electronics, interfacing failures should be nil.

Interestingly, my new Kachina 505DSP also provides a silent, open-collector
for amp switching.

-Paul, W9AC