TenTec

[TenTec] Digital Speech Processing & Pegasus

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Digital Speech Processing & Pegasus
From: RMcGraw@Blomand.Net (Robert & Linda McGraw K4TAX)
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 19:21:28 -0600
While somewhat old technology today, I developed and patented a multiband
audio processor for broadcast applications many years ago.

The basic processing system consisted of a method to divide the audio
spectrum (20Hz - 25KHz) into 5 bands.  Each different band was passed
through a separate compressor/limiter.  Each used different attack and
release times for each band as the compliment of audio was different.  Then
the 5 "processed" signals were combined back into one signal.  For the 2
channel stereo version the same method was applied for each the Left and the
Right channels.  Then a mono sum signal was derived ( L+R) and a mono
difference signal (L - R) was derived.  These 2 signals were sent to the
transmitter where the (L+R) was added to the (L-R) netting a Left channel
and a Right channel signal.

The system allowed each station to "tailor" their sound and their "loudness"
by adjusting the respective levels of the 5 bands.  Made for a loud station
or a sweet sound or one with heavy bottom as one might imagine.  Just what
the competitive market demanded.

Today, on the ham rig, I use a 5 band EQ followed by a Behringer Compressor
Pro on the Paragon.  Most agree, it sounds great.

73
Bob K4TAX