TenTec

[TenTec] Re: inrad filters

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Re: inrad filters
From: w5yr@att.net (George, W5YR)
Date: Tue Apr 15 13:13:08 2003
Not to confuse the issue, but the original topic of what to change when
adding or changing filters suggested to me that the questioner was concerned
about "carrier  oscillator insertion frequency" rather than "carrier
balance."

Carrier insertion in a conventional - not an IF-DSP - rig  concerns the
placement of the (suppressed) carrier frequency relative to the passband of
the filter used for transmit and receive. Since the same filter is used for
USB and LSB, the filters are made with the passband flanks as nearly
identical as possible.

The frequency range of the baseband audio signal recovered from the received
signal as it is passed through the filter depends upon where the insertion
oscillator frequency is placed relative to the passband of the filter.

Similarly on transmit, the "pitch" of the voice signal depends upon where
this oscillator frequency is located on the slope of the filter response
curve.

If the frequency is too high or too far up on the slope, the signal will
sound "bassy" compared to having the insertion frequency lower on the slope.
Usually the insertion frequency is critical in another respect: having the
USB and LSB transmit and receiver audio sound the same. To the extent that
the filter slopes are symmetrical and the insertion frequency is correct,
the two modes will sound very nearly the same. If the oscillator is too high
or too low, one mode will sound higher pitched than the other and
conversely.

A great advantage of the IF DSP architecture is that none of these signal
generation and demodulation operations is done with analog oscillators and
filters. Everything is done by software calculations. The phasing method of
ssb is used and no filters are involved in either generating or demodulating
an SSB signal. One less set of problems!

Hope this helps.

73/72, George
Amateur Radio W5YR -  the Yellow Rose of Texas
Fairview, TX 30 mi NE of Dallas in Collin county EM13QE
"In the 57th year and it just keeps getting better!"
<mailto:w5yr@att.net>