TenTec

Re: [TenTec] List Abbreviations

To: <geraldj@storm.weather.net>,"Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] List Abbreviations
From: "DAVID HELLER" <dtx@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2007 00:10:17 -0500
I've got to remember that long comma bit - though a bit difficult with a
keyer -- that old commercial system with the first-second-third phone and
first-second-third CW and AT(aircraft telegrapher with 25 wpm) wasn't bad.
I too found the phone and second CW licenses no worse than the amateur tests
of  the time.
These days it's all new:  the MROP (marine radio operators permit) - short,
and all regs requiring memorization, but quick and easy, the GROL (general
radio operators license) which takes the place of  the old 2nd and first
phone and is a lifetime license; the ship radar endorsement, not too rough,
and the new GDMSS maintainer and operator (two tickets) with very long tests
which invariably require study, needed for the current low-hf-vhf distress
equipment.
The AT test is no more.  When I got the 2nd CW it was 16 wpm code group,
which of course was credit for General.  First CW needed a ship master's
endorsement of 6 month(?) on-the-job expericence before you could take the
test.

I often considered trying commercial ship radio officer work for a bit - but
never did anything about it - maybe my time as RT in USNavy was enough of
that which pertains to boats.  K3TX