TenTec

[TenTec] Pegasus and Heathkit SB220 amp

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Pegasus and Heathkit SB220 amp
From: w9ac@arrl.net (Paul Christensen, Esq.)
Date: Tue Feb 25 21:22:18 2003
Although Ten-Tec specs the key line voltage at low DC voltage for warranty
purposes, the TO-220 style keying transistor in the Pegasus is actually
speced to handle well over 100VDC, but I don't recall if it's rated to 170
V.  My Pegasus keys my ALPHA SEVENTY amplifier with a 70V key line and I
have no trouble.

Harbach engineering sells the most elegant solution for your SB-220.  From
the Harbach web page at:

http://www.harbachelectronics.com/reference/harpg3cart.htm

"SK-220 SOFT-KEY MODULE - The SK-220 is an interface module which allows
your transceiver to key the SB-220 seeing only 0.7 volts at 1.5 mA. The
original SB-220 circuit had +120 volts on the keying line. This easily
installed unit is only $20.00 with $1.20 sales tax for Indiana residents."

Another solution is to build or purchase an external interface unit with a
HV Darlington switching transistor.  Someone just recently came out with a
nice, opto-isolating all-in-one amplifier interface and I just can't recall
who it is.  Perhaps someone can chime in and help me with my memory.

-Paul, W9AC