TenTec

[TenTec] OMNI VI "click/chirp"

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] OMNI VI "click/chirp"
From: w9ac@arrl.net (Paul Christensen)
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2002 12:01:26 -0500
Solutions to better Omni Six keying, including establishing the proper
timing to external, non-Ten-Tec amplifiers can be found in the Ten-Tec
Reflector archives.  Most notably, you will find extensive information from
late 1997 and throughout 1998.

For external amplifiers, I have found the best timing source is derived from
the Omni's "T" voltage on the Control Board...NOT the "TD" voltage, and NOT
the TX-OUT signal as many are using.  The only way to get away with using
TX-OUT, by itself, with an amplifier that cannot accommodate a full
handshake is with an amplifier that protects itself against hot-switching
(e.g., Alpha 87A).  Otherwise, using the TX-OUT signal available at the
Omni's rear panel is a guaranteed invitation to hot-switching (the trailing
or "break" RF envelope) with a non-Ten-Tec amplifier.  Since the trailing
edge becomes truncated, keying the amplifier ahead with a contact closure or
open-collector from your keyer does not help...this only helps on the "make"
RF envelope closure.  Using the "T" voltage results in proper timing for
even the most sluggish amps, although the QSK listening "window" may be
shorter, depending on the speed of the amp in question.

-Paul, W9AC