TenTec

Re: [TenTec] Omni VII first impressions....odd things i.e. SWRvalues

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Omni VII first impressions....odd things i.e. SWRvalues
From: "Bob McGraw - K4TAX" <RMcGraw@Blomand.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 20:16:25 -0600
Mike:

OK good to know that the rig is not folding back due to erroneous SWR values
indicated internally.  Likely it is a defective otherwise intermittent diode
in the SWR bridge circuit.  This would likely be D3 which is a BAT41 device.
Again, I'd suspect either a board replacement from Tentec or a trip for the
radio back to Sevierville is in order.  My preference, the latter.

As to actual power output, the spec is 100 watts +/- 1 dB which would
indicate a high, nominal 100 watts, to be about 125 watts and a low, nominal
100 watts to be about 76 watts.  Now, if due to Vcc drop on the power cable,
series fuse, internal wiring, PC board traces and such the nominal power
value is 90 watts then the up and down values would be 113 and 71
respectively.  And it could be greater if the nominal value were 80 watts,
otherwise, 100 watts at the upper end of the spec and as low as 63 watts.
Of course all of these are calculated values and do not take into
consideration typical power meter tolerances of +/- 10%.  One other post
indicated his measured output power to be 99 down to 65 watts.  This numbers
looks to be "in spec" as well.

In checking mine this evening, it is running 90 watts, diminishing somewhat
downward as band/frequency increase with 12M & 10M being the lowest at 75
watts.  I didn't have a slug at the house to measure the 6 meter output.  At
the same time, I could see the Vcc from the power supply decrease about 1/2
needle width, whatever that amounts to.  The DVM was not at the desk so I
couldn't confirm the actual Vcc at the radio.  Perhaps this week I'll put
the radio on the bench with the adjustable supply and see what happens at
14.0 volts at the radio under transmit load.  I suspect that the power will
be very close to 100 watts on all bands.

Thanks for sharing your findings.  Doesn't sound to serious to me.

73
Bob, K4TAX