TenTec

[TenTec] VI+ Key Up Spike

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] VI+ Key Up Spike
From: paulc@mediaone.net (Paul Christensen)
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 1998 09:41:05 -0500
Hi Rich,

I am unaware of a keying spike on the Omni Six, although on the Omni V I
once owned, the leading edge spike was quite prevalent, causing the ALC
overload indicator on my Alpha 77Dx to light up.

Without modification, the Omni Six keys with a very steep leading edge,
whereas the Omni V's keying is more symmetrical, albeit with a leading edge
spike.  I believe the Ten-Tec designers made the change in the Omni Six as a
"fix" to the spike problem by decreasing the ALC circuit's reaction time.
This is the root cause of the leading edge spike in the Omni V.

The "trick" is finding an appropriate time constant that will produce
symmetrical waveform keying without the ALC spike.  Of all the mods I made
to my first Omni Six, the keying waveform changes took me the longest to
implement; nearly three weeks of trial and error with about a dozen
components.  To make matters worse, the new 9MHz Filter Board in the Omni
Six Plus uses all SMD devices.

None of this answers your question, however.  I doubt that a keying spike
caused the damage you describe.  I would associate any damage caused by a
keying spike to first affect the output tube's grid structure, far in
advance of a plate tuning cap failure.  However, the brief increase in plate
current could push the output circuit beyond its design limit and cause a
very brief arcing.  Perhaps over multiple keyed transmissions of this, the
cap finally failed.  Again, doubtful, but I suppose it is possible.

-Paul, W9AC