TenTec

Re: [TenTec] ORION II and P3

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] ORION II and P3
From: "Stephen Cannon" <sugar_bears_home@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 14:28:44 -0700
John,
Personally, I would wait for the RX366 (since it is due out any day now) and
use it (since it does output a 9 MHz IF) in lieu of modifying the board.
This way you get a better Sub-RX as well as the 9 MHz IF output, and you can
easily do this mod yourself by a simple easily accessible board replacement
(might be cheaper than shipping & insuring the O II to TT and back, and
paying TT to do the mod).  You may need an additional RG-178 miniature cable
with Taiko Denki TMP plugs on both ends, (which TT sells for about $12), to
connect the new Sub-RX board's 9 MHz IF output to the empty Taiko Denki jack
on the I/O board (and thus have the 9 MHz IF output coming out the "SPARE"
jack on the back of the O II).  You will still need to get the Z10000B-U
buffer amplifier from Clifton Labs (with 0 dB gain) to connect between the
back of the O II and the panadapter.

That said I am sure you can still get TT to do the mod for you.

Stephen AD7TD