TenTec

Re: [TenTec] OT: Scopes

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OT: Scopes
From: "Jerry Haigwood" <jerry@w5jh.net>
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2012 13:34:22 -0600
Russell,
    If you look around, you can find a 50-60MHz scope for $150-200 in good
working shape.  It may not have a good set of probes and they will cost you
maybe $25.  50MHz is the minimum scope I would buy.  I have a Tektronics
60MHz dual channel delay sweep analog scope and some HP probes.  I have used
it for many years working on my gear.  I bought it used about 20 years ago
for $150.  Unfortunately the prices have not gone down!  If you plan to
repair your own equipment, you would also need a good stable RF generator
with a calibrated output level.  There are several military surplus
generators available.  One of the nicest used generators is the HP8640.
They sell for about $400-600 in good shape. It has a digital readout, is
very stable and has a calibrated adjustable output level.  It covers up to
512MHz.  BTW, I don't own one of these yet.  I currently use an old HP606
analog generator that covers up to 65MHz.  It is big, bulky, heavy, and ugly
but it does work! ;-)
Jerry W5JH