TenTec

[TenTec] RE: More About Clix

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] RE: More About Clix
From: w9ac@arrl.net (Paul Christensen)
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 15:27:19 -0500
In theory, I believe that some of the sound card analysis programs can work,
but I'm not sure if they sample fast enough to detect
the change in pitch...although we're probably speaking of less than 50-100 mS
for detecting the duration of a "microchirp." Seems
like any PC should be fast enough, but I just don't know if enough will be
captured to the screen.  The PSK31 "waterfall" displays
look like the trick because a pitch shift should be seen by a horizontally
shifted waterfall line.  However, I haven't seen anything
out there that will give accurate results in a small enough pitch shift window
like 10-50 Hz.

I use a Fast Fourier Transform (FFT) program called SpectraPlus for my Hi-Fi
SSB work.  The resolution down at the low end of the
audio spectrum is good but the FFT sample size at low frequencies must be very
large in order to offer enough resolution to see
small pitch changes.  On the high end of the audio spectrum, the FFT size can
be made smaller, but then resolution is lost because
of the display's semi-log scale.  I may experiment with it this weekend.

-Paul, W9AC