TenTec

[TenTec] VFO 242 Help

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] VFO 242 Help
From: Tim Cook" <timcook@erinet.com (Tim Cook)
Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 21:48:40 -0400
I am trying to get a vfo 242 going.  I had to put the plug on on the cord
from the vfo. I'm pretty sure that it is wired correctly (but can never be
100% sure).  ....     :)

here are the symptoms:

1. with the 242 plugged into the 540, the 242 mode switch activates the
Triton/Remote lights and switches vfo's as it should. It will not receive in
the REMOTE position on 3.5, 7.0, 21, 28.0 position.  It receives in the
`14.0 position, but the freq is about 1 mhz low.  It will tune up and down
about 500khz in the 20m position.

2. in the 21.0 position, the readout is 9.000 mhz (won't tune)
3. in the 28.0 position , the readout is 22.990 (won't tune)
4. in the 3.5 and 7.0 positions, the readout is 1.000 mhz (won't tune)

I do not know the history of the vfo, it does not look modified at all, the
only thing was the plug was gone from the cord. I have a 242 manual and
wired the plug according to it, if I followed the schematic correctly..  I
do not have  a lot of test equipment which hampers troubleshooting some.

any suggestions? Please email direct with any info..

Thanks
Tim
NZ8J