TenTec

[TenTec] Pegasus

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Pegasus
From: paulc@mediaone.net (Paul Christensen)
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 1999 14:00:03 -0400
I've been running the Pegasus almost exclusively for the past two weeks and
it has certainly been an absolute pleasure to use.  The software almost
installs itself.  I have already upgraded the software to v1.57 from
Ten-tec's web site and is by far the easiest I have ever installed on my
computers, including the Kachina 505DSP.

I'm still amazed at CW performance, particularly for a computer-based
transceiver.  QSK is fast, although I detect a slightly audible T/R "click"
in my sidetone.  The CW waveform is more accurate and symmetrical than ANY
other Ten-tec model I've had.

Receiver performance has been excellent and I have not encountered any
overload problems, even while operating on 40-meters in the evening when
using a half-wave elevated vertical.  The DSP filters are excellent and
exhibit no "blow-by."  I especially like the fact that I can fine tune each
of the filter's center frequencies.

My wish list:

1) Allow the software's audio volume control to vary the "LINE OUT" front
panel audio jack.  Presently, I have to vary the external volume control on
my PC's SoundBlaster card.  The logical "pick-off" point is just prior to
the audio power amp that feeds the speaker.

2) Add a keyer weighting control.

3) Add CW spotting.  This could be accomplished by depressing either 1) the
keyboard space bar, or 2) clicking the mouse pointer on the CW mode button,
just like the Omni six.

4) A DSP-based mic processor with a maximum of 10 dB of compression would be
nice.

5) Add +8VDC to the microphone connector as a microphone "phantom voltage"
for mics requiring a transistor battery.  I power an FET impedance
transformer on my D-104 mics.  Other mics require similar power.

These are all items that would not significantly raise the production cost
of the $895.00 retail price of the Pegasus.   I can't think of much more to
change.  The GUI ergonomics are great and I wouldn't change a thing.

-Paul, W9AC