TenTec

Re: [TenTec] 40M Band Sweeps

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] 40M Band Sweeps
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2007 22:32:02 -0500
> Is it limited to 7.0 - 7.3 MHz?

No, I now see that is it much broader than just 40M.  From my location,
signal strength is about +35/S9 at any time of day.  So, it does appear to
be some form of governmental or research-based chirping system as Stuart
points out.  It also seems to track with such systems at 100 kHz per
second -- just enough to be painfully annoying.

Perhaps my location is unusually sensitive to the sweeps, but I am a bit
astonished that this deliberate interference is allowed to persist around
the clock, albeit in short bursts.  No station identification seems to be
required either.   Pretty amazing, but government organizations and the
military seems to qualify for special exemptions from "good operating
practices."

Paul, W9AC