TenTec

Re: [TenTec] S meter and RF gain

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] S meter and RF gain
From: "Carl Moreschi" <n4py@arrl.net>
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2006 17:58:48 -0500
Of course, the best solution would be for the S meter on the Orion to work
just like the RX340.  The RX340 S meter always reads correctly regardless of
RF gain setting, attenuator setting, preamp setting, or even AGC rate used.
It is the only radio I have ever seen that works this way.

By the way, the Orion V1 S meter won't read signal strength below the noise
level (or any radio for that matter) because the noise moves S meter above
the signal level.   This is why the V2 S meter scheme is really ok.  As long
as you don't lower the RF gain so that noise no longer moves the S meter at
all, all signals above the noise will show on the meter.  Toby, it sounds
like you lowered the RF gain too much if you could not get S meter readings
for signals that were above the noise.

Carl Moreschi N4PY
121 Little Bell Drive
Bell Mountain