TenTec

Re: [TenTec] Orion I RIT/XIT problem

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion I RIT/XIT problem
From: "Robert Carroll" <w2wg@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2008 15:59:00 -0400
Vince-

During my siege with the RTI problem I found many different things I did to
the radio seemed to make the RIT work--for a little.  However I never found
an early or late firmware load made any real difference.  The "special" load
TT sent me showed that when the RIT was not working, the RIT was not
generating proper Gray Code output--in fact most of the time the reading was
not changing.  Was it hardware?  Was it firmware?  No one has even really
found out--least of all TenTec--but after wrestling with the problem for a
couple of years I felt pretty sure it was a soldering or plated through hole
issue.  Recently someone made the suggestion it was a cable.

Good luck--you'll need it.

73
Bob W2WG

Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 16:11:45 -0400
From: "John T. Fleming" <W3GQJ@embarqmail.com>
To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>

I have a theory on the Orion XIT/RIT problem.  I now think the problem is
with the ribbon cable that is connected to J2B in drawing 81917_3.PDF in the
designator A8.   My serial number is
06C10363.  I wonder what other serial numbers are having the same problem.
I bought my Orion 9-16-03.