TenTec

Re: [TenTec] ORION, THE TERRIBLE 12

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] ORION, THE TERRIBLE 12
From: "Bernard(wtrone)" <wtrone@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 07:29:53 -0500
    I think that many of these negative comments are the result of
expectations which were just too high.  Anyone who has read these boards
knows that there have been and continue to be a few problems with the Orion.
Whether these problems are big or small or even noticed, really depends on
your operating habits and modes.  I have had my Orion for over a year now
and the only problem that I notice is the power meter fall off.  That just
doesn't bother me.  I understand other problems are more bothersome to some
who use the Orion differently than I.

    I agree that some of these problems should never have been there in the
first place and that most of them should have been fixed by now.  I fully
understand some of your frustration.  But, the bottom line rests on two
significant observations:

    1. You could have spent $10,000 or more on the new Icom or, more
recently the new Yaesu.  How much frustration is $7000+ worth to you?

    2. With the possible exception of the K-2, you can't find a ham receiver
that is better than  the Orion (jury is still out on the new Yaesu).  How
much are those close in receiver numbers worth to you?

    Just one man's opinion.

            73s,

            Bernard, WA4OEJ