TenTec

Re: [TenTec] was OT: Indoor Antenna: re B&W type terminated dipoles

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] was OT: Indoor Antenna: re B&W type terminated dipoles
From: "Rick - NJ0IP / DJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2010 20:05:09 -0600
Jerry, my post wasn't based on technical theory.
I'm sure you are correct in theory.
I was just referring to years and year and years (over 20) of using these
antennas during contest operations and hearing things solid Q5 that we
couldn't even detect on any of the other antennas.
And we had fantastic antennas, compared to what most people have on their
city lot.

Try telling K3LR or KC1XX that a Beverage is a rotten antenna.

I guess I knew about Beverage antennas for about 10 years before I ever
experienced one.
I had no idea of the advantage they bring in a contest.
Once you have used one, you will want one for every contest you participate
in.
I say one, but in Europe we needed a minimum of 2, but 3 was better, 4 even
better.
We had one East/West for the caribian and the Americas and Asia off the
back, and then one NE/SW for JA and VK/ZL off the back.  Yes they were
reversible.
Initially the reversible degraded on 40m due to the length of the coax to
the far end, so we built 2-wire Beverages.
This enabled us to have a reversible Beverage, yet feed it from just one
end.

A detailed description is on our club web site, but it is in German.
However the schematics and pictures are in English, and Chinese and Russian,
etc. (hi).

We put a lot of money and effort into developing the Beverage
system....because it was worth it.

73
Rick