TenTec

[TenTec] Jupiter Wins the Day @ W5T / Train Mobile

To: <TenTec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Jupiter Wins the Day @ W5T / Train Mobile
From: "Ron | K5XK" <qrzthedx@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2013 12:41:26 -0500
TenTec to the rescue!

One of our local clubs here in NW Arkansas operated the special event call
W5T / 'train mobile' this past Saturday.  We set-up in a 1940s vintage
caboose of an excursion train, using the Club's IC-718.  The ICOM failed
shortly after making our first contact (with a VK6 via long path on 20M).
Fortunately fellow club member K5DB brought along his TenTec Jupiter as
backup and it performed flawlessly for the duration.  We used a combination
of Outbacker and Hamstick mobile antennas for 150 casual phone and CW QSOs,
worldwide.  Most of our QSOs were almost shocked, indicating that it was
their first-ever contact with a station operating 'train mobile.'

If you're interested in learning more about our trek rolling along the rails
through the Boston Mountains, for photos, etc., see www.qrz.com/db/w5t .

73,

Ron, K5XK
Bella Vista, Arkansas