TenTec

Re: [TenTec] Orion 1: QRP operation, analog meter ballistics,"band scan"

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion 1: QRP operation, analog meter ballistics,"band scan"
From: "Ben K8DIT" <benk8dit@callatg.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 14:26:15 -0800
Tim,

While the meter on the Orion is very good, it was explained not long ago
that there are mechanical variances from one to another and just a whole
host of reasons why a electromechanical meter of this size will not track
very accurately.

Now you do have a choice on your menu to track power output digitally. Dont
expect the analog meter to agree. Its not gonna happen except by accident. I
fully expect 15 respondents to the reflector  to immediately tell me Im
wrong..... but I dont think so. When power output measurement is important
as in QRP/QRO measurement, there are quite a few quality output meters made
by third party mfgers whose accuracy is legend.

There are many variables involved in sampling rf that make it problematic
for an internal meter to be correct and should you attempt adjustment, there
wont be any way to know whether you've put the meter off for accurate
recieve responses.

On your last question on scanning, the answer is yes. N4PY's software does
it, I believe, though I have not tried it on my Orion yet.  GL
73, Ben K8DIT