TenTec

RE: [TenTec] QSK with QSK-5PC

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TenTec] QSK with QSK-5PC
From: <al_lorona@agilent.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 13:10:37 -0700
Tommy wrote this:

> What IS full QSK?
>
> Maybe when you hear between dots and your sending  at no more than
> 30 wpm. Or is it when you hear between words when your sending at 50
> wpm, Or is it when you know someone is breaking you when your
> sending at 70 wpm? Or is it all of the above?
>
> Tom - W4BQF

Tommy has written the above. And also this:

> Well of course speed is not the issue. I, too, was sending during SS
> ab 26 and 28 and 30 wpm and my Titan 3 worked flawless but it was
> being driven with my Omni 6 Plus.
>
> Tom - W4BQF

But of course, speed is the issue. Speed has always been the issue whenever the
subject of QSK has come up on this reflector. Tommy is the one who insisted
that at over 100 wpm-- I believe he once claimed 120 wpm to be exact-- he
wishes to have QSK ability. He says that one of the Icom transceivers-- I
believe it was Icom, correct me if I'm wrong-- can do it, and is the current
'gold standard' for QSK. He claims that above 68 wpm, certain Ten Tec
transceivers can't do QSK and he complained about it.

Somebody else claimed that Ten Tec Omni's can't do QSK above 40 wpm or so. I
think it was N4LQ.

Once I questioned the true value of QSK and I questioned how much it's really
used to actually break in on someone during a ragchew, and I was greeted by
complete and total silence from the reflector. I don't know what the silence
meant, honestly.

Rather than turn this thread into an Orion bashing thread, Tommy, please tell
us, once and for all, if speed is the issue or not.

All of which, I think, brings us back to that question, "What *is* full QSK?",
which I think, Tommy, is a good one to ask.

On a somewhat different point, could someone tell me what is the difference in
QSK behavior, if any, between running a Ten Tec transceiver (let's take an Omni
VI as our example) barefoot versus running the same transceiver with a "QSK"
Ten Tec amplifier in the keying loop? In other words, how much "QSK" does one
give up after adding the amplifier? Thank you.

Al W6LX