TenTec

[TenTec] 60 mtr band

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] 60 mtr band
From: wn3vaw@fyi.net (Ron Notarius WN3VAW)
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 21:22:18 -0400
I think we got a little snookered here guys...  OK, I fell for it too.

First, the original post had a somewhat incendiary crack about Ten Tec
service that got everyone's dander up, mine included.  That's now retracted
in the subsequent post(s) and then replaced with an equally inflammatory "AM
Only" remark, followed by a "wait for someone else's rig" remark.  Should'a
known better.

Therefore, rather than play that game any more, let's discuss a more
positive matter raised in many of the replies:

Do you think there will be enough of a market to justify a commercial 60
meter transverter, and if so, do you think Ten Tec would make one?

Past experience (ie the WARC bands) leads me to believe that there may not
be enough of a market for Ten Tec to make a cost efficient one, sorry to
say.  Think back... how many WARC transverters do you remember being
marketed?  And keep in mind that the three WARC bands were available
world-wide.  Still, it took 10 years or more for all three of the bands to
finally become availalble, and in that time, enough new equipment already
equipped was on the market that the need for a commercial transverter became
moot.

I would expect that some of the smaller manufacturers (Ramsey & MFJ come to
mind) will come out with "el cheapo" transverters or transverter kits.  And
I wouldn't be surprised if you saw mod articles coming out on how to fix up
many of the older rigs, at the sacrifice of a current band switch position.
(It would be a tough one because 5 - 5.5 was the traditional VFO / BFO
frequency for most of the first generations of SSB transmitters &
transceivers, but it could be done).  I also expect that someone will market
a QRP 60 meter monobander soon after the band is announced -- IF we get it
(of course).

And hopefully the band will be big enough for both phone & CW.  Much as I
enjoy CW, it is a shame that 30 meters is still so small and so power
restricted, as a shared band, that it's a CW & digital only band.  Oh well,
maybe one day we can get a little more elbow room there...

60 sounds like it could be a fun band.  I'm looking forward to it, if and
when we get it.

73, ron wn3vaw

"And they give you cash,
which is just as good as money!"