TenTec

[TenTec] orion and k3

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] orion and k3
From: wlbaber@bellsouth.net
Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 20:55:58 +0000
K3 is certainly a bargain!! However, if you place a switchable Inrad cw filter
as a so-called "roofing filter" inside of an Omni VI, you have the same thing
as an Orion on receive (cw) except that you can't disable the rf amplifier in
Omni VI....which gives a slight advantage to Orion on 160 and 80 meters.  I use
Orion and Omni VI in so2r (my MP is now used as an I-F for UHF, hi).

I imgaine that K3 and Orion, or Orion II, would have to be very similar in (cw)
performance, but Omni VI with a roofing filter would be right there with them.
Infact, blocking may be slightly superior on Omni VI due to less phase noise.

73, Will, wj9b, dit dit