TenTec

[TenTec] Using an Argosy in the field

To: TenTec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Using an Argosy in the field
From: Stephen Roberts <steverob@shoreham.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 15:21:55 -0400
John,

As far as power, you have to consider the output of the radio. If you're going
to only operate at 5W, then you could use a smaller SLA (sealed lead acid)
battery, like the kind they use in security light backups or APC computer
backup power units. Of course your mileage will vary depending on the battery's
amp hour rating, your radio's current draw at transmit and how much time you're
actually transmitting. As far as the car is concerned, you would probably be
better off connecting directly to the battery itself rather than use the cig
lighter power outlet. I know that many lighter outlets cannot deliver enough
amperage to give you the power that you need. If you operate directly from your
car battery or another battery of similar size, then make sure you follow the
directions for the argosy and use the circuit breaker so you don't fry
anything. And be careful. A car battery can kill you. Another option for power
would be to use lipo or lifepo batteries. Another subject all t
 ogether, but if you plan to do more QRP location stuff, it might be worthwhile
to check them out.

I'm going to be doing the same next month with my Argosy in Maine and I plan to
take a BuddiPole, a painters pole mast and an end fed 10/20/40 dipole. I'll
probably take a tuner as well for the Buddipole. I'll probably take my spare
lawn mower battery along for power as I don't intend to stray too far from
where I'm staying.

73
Steve
KB1WUD