TenTec

[TenTec] Fw: Orion

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Fw: Orion
From: K9RB@bellsouth.net (Roger Borowski)
Date: Thu Apr 3 22:24:48 2003
FSK is my favorite mode, it doesn't have to be your's. There is no right or
wrong, thats the great thing about our hobby, there are so many facets that
may fall in and out of vogue with each of us. Since I got to the #1 DXCC
Honor Roll both on Phone and CW over a decade ago, the digital modes have
been my current interest and I'm nearing in on the 300 mark there, so it is
important to me, Grant. I won't pop for over $3K for a rig that doesn't do
FSK,...thats maybe just me?
An IC-781 has been around a long time and is still a nice rig....had one
here for awhile but liked the 950SDX better....sold it before it got bad
screen burn, which is another concern of the Orion. Burn is a tendency of
monochrome displays, which really look dated to me today, but I don't buy
rigs on looks alone. For amp keying, a circuit, formerly a relay, pulling
low is the norm for most except some QSK amps that work better at QSK when
switched by the acc 12 VDC signal. No doubt that the TenTec technique of
keying the amp to key the rig is probably best, but not all amp
manufacturers have gone that route. Many use the relay or transistor
switched output and it does work, but better have a spare vacuum relay on
hand as they take a beating using that technique.
Being in this hobby >42 years now, I agree with your final statement about
the state of the hobby and many of its operators. Love it or leave it.....I
still love it despite all the changes in >4 decades.
73, -=Rog-K9RB=-