TenTec

Re: [TenTec] The Age of Consumer Beta Testing

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] The Age of Consumer Beta Testing
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@storm.weather.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 12:52:00 -0500
On Wed, 2006-07-12 at 14:25 -0400, PaulKB8N@aol.com wrote:
<SNIP>

> Microsoft releases major operating systems with security flaws so serious
> that they invite hackers to come in.  The Mini-Cooper automobile has such
> serious bugs in it's processor that it doesn't properly shift between  gears.
>  My
> new Sony Viao notebook computer would crash inexplicably (and  continues to
> do
> so) and no one could tell me why.

<SNIP>

> Paul, K5AF

There is a setting in windoze that defaults to checking a drive for
contents to see if its changed. When you swap drives out as some laptops
can do hot that causes a crash. Sometimes it also crashes just because
you removed the media from that drive. And it runs the floppy or CD
drive at random intervals annoying the user. Find that flag and disable
that media check. It can cure some of those mysterious crashes. Most
computer vendors customer service don't know about that flag and suggest
only wiping the hard drive and reloading which does nothing. I don't
remember how to get to that flag since I did it last in windoze 95 which
made it reliable and I'm now running Linux Fedora Core 3 for my internet
access, with MS-DOS for packet and OS/2 Warp 4 for programming for my
paying customers.

Then for general windoze maintenance REMOVE all the programs from the
load cycle but the ONE you are using. Then all those extraneous programs
windoze likes to load and have hot for your convenience aren't competing
for system attention and asking for hardware in use by others of them or
the program you are really using. And you will miraculously have many
megabytes of ram for the program that you are using to work in which
increases its probability of success.
--
73, Jerry, K0CQ,