TenTec

Re: [TenTec] Ten-Tec PA design

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Ten-Tec PA design
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@storm.weather.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 14:24:37 -0500
On Fri, 2006-07-14 at 16:03 -0400, Bill Tippett wrote:
<SNIP>
>          I don't know who told you that but there has always
> been ALC in Orions from day 1.  The ALC light is to the right
> of the Meter and TT's Orion webpage specification states:
>
> TRANSMITTER:
> Power output: Adjustable 5-100 W, +/- 1 dB, ALC controlled.

Which means that if the ALC limits the power it can cause the effective
rise time to be shorter than the slope selected in software and that
shortening effect can be dependent on the power selected as well as the
inherent RF transmitter gain variations with frequency and temperature.
Further the transition from rise to flat can be abrupt leading to key
clicks unless one is careful (and can) lower the drive manually by other
than an ALC threshold setting so the drive just barely gets to the ALC
selected power output.

>          Anyway I just learned something after 3 years
> of owning Orion and will get one of the Air Pax breakers.

15 amp ATC fuses from Buss are cheaper and far easier to find.