TenTec

Re: [TenTec] AirPax Purchase

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] AirPax Purchase
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@storm.weather.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 20:16:02 -0500
On Fri, 2006-07-21 at 06:53 -0500, Brad Bradford wrote:
> Mine arrived yesterday, but I have questions.   I understand the Line &
> Load, but my AIRPAX units have what looks like some kind of a sensor
> circuit.  There are three small connectors between the Line & Load.  Are any
> of you using this circuit?  How are you using this circuit?  In other words
> what are you connecting this circuit to?  My AIRPAX units were made in
> Mexico, but THEY ARE HERE LEGALLY - Smile!!

The added switch is a bonus, cost extra when the breakers were ordered
new. Mine came in an Airpax box, since the size of my order just
happened to match the number that Airpax put in one box. There is no
need for the auxiliary circuit (but it cost about $20 to not have it by
ordering from an Airpax distributor) by with three terminals it probably
has NC and NO sets of contacts so that the contacts that close when the
main contacts open could be used to apply power to a LED (red) to
indicate the breaker had tripped. That would have been the primary use
in some industrial application, though that indicator may have been part
of a loop that required every breaker and every other gate switch to be
closed before power would be applied, or the tripped breaker sensor
might create an alarm on some central location on the equipment. In the
Collins 821A-1 there were breakers like that sequenced to 10 or 11
lights on a status panel that also included 10 warnings from circuit
conditions and 10 faults from other circuit conditions and 8 or ten arc
sensor indicators. Most of the faults could turn the radio off.
Especially the arc sensors, then the light remained to show where the
arc was (running 250 KW AM there was a lot of high voltage DC and RF
around to arc). All the top row of circuit sequence lights had to be on
before the plate voltage could come on. Interlocked with control circuit
breakers, door switches, ground stick holder switches and the like.

Otherwise the extra contacts don't interfere with the breaker operation
so their free cost isn't a bother.

--
73, Jerry, K0CQ,