TenTec

Re: [TenTec] Argonaut II/Delta II crystal filters

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Argonaut II/Delta II crystal filters
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@storm.weather.net>
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2007 10:46:38 -0600
On Wed, 2007-08-01 at 11:14 +0100, Bob Towers wrote:
> I'm not exactly happy with the Jones filter on my Argonaut II.
>
> a) the centre of the bandpass shifts up frequency (on USB) when I
> tighten the bandpass width
>
> b) the narrowest width setting is about 700Hz: I could do with 500Hz or
> narrower.
>
> The manual warns against adjusting the two sets of 4-pole filters unless
> you have a network (spectrum, surely?) analyzer, which I do. Anyway, the
> adjustment pots are all locked in position with some sort of fixative.

Network analyzer is a spectrum analyzer with signal source to measure
the pass band characteristics. It could probably be done with a noise
source and the spectrum analyzer or manually using a signal generator
and detector, though that might be slow to get the necessary detail.

> Has anyone had a go at adjusting the filters?
>
> If so, I would appreciate some advice - which might be, of course, don't
> try and fix it!
>
> 73
>
> Bob
> MM0RKT

I'd be inclined to go with an external DSP audio filter if the inherent
selectivity wasn't quite narrow enough. But I tend to prefer wider
rather than narrower so I can tell what's going on around the QSO I'm
copying.

73, Jerry, K0CQ