TenTec

Re: [TenTec] OMNI VII QSK users with good ears....

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OMNI VII QSK users with good ears....
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@storm.weather.net>
Date: Sun, 09 Dec 2007 20:04:34 -0600
On Sun, 2007-12-09 at 18:45 -0500, Paul Christensen wrote:
> > Where does one obtain those UM2110 diodes?
> >
> > Dj  k6rcl
>
> At one time, Microsemi would "sample" them out to hams, in addition to their
> usual commercial and military customer base.  That was back in the early
> '90s.  Quite a few folks took advantage of it and my understanding is they
> will no longer sample-out to the ham community.  If you do request a sample
> through their website, expect to answer a lot of tough questions by
> telephone from their sales force.  It's understandable as these are
> expensive diodes -- something like $40 each in small quantities, maybe more.
> These are 1KW PIN diodes that are meant to switch RF, specifically at HF
> frequencies.
>
> You can try the usual on-line sources for quality industrial components like
> Newark, Allied, Digi-Key and Mouser.  If that fails, you'll need to contact
> Microsemi and make an inquiry about obtaining the name of an industrial
> supply distributor near you.
>
> http://www.microsemi.com/
>
> Paul, W9AC

If the 1N4007 sort of did the job, probably a 1 watt or ten watt PIN
diode would do a major part of the improvement the 1KW PIN diode does
and would be more available.

Dan's Small Part, RF Parts, and Down East Microwave are ham parts and
kit places that sell PIN diodes in small quantities.

73, Jerry, K0CQ