TenTec

Re: [TenTec] A bit off topic...antenna question

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] A bit off topic...antenna question
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@storm.weather.net>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 10:34:32 -0600
On Thu, 2008-05-22 at 09:37 -0400, Mike Bryce wrote:
> ran an ten tec 50 ohm dry dummy load out to the antenna end of the
> coax... squirted some rf into the line..
>
> perfect swr with 100 watts of RF
>

> band is 40 meters, as the antenna is marked..

So the antenna is shorted. Throw it out. Its junk and will break apart
in the air and the added bandwidth is too small to pay for the
complexity. Go get 66 feet of wire. Cut it into two pieces.  Use the end
and center insulators to make a plain 40 meter dipole. It will work the
SAME as the Bazooka, same bandwidth, same radiation pattern, same
impedance, and will last longer in the air.

> thanks for the note on the shorted input.... My arrl antenna book
> only describes this antenna in a few paragraphs...
>
> I'll add on some wire at the ends and see if I can find some spot
> where the swr drops...
>
> as it is, when you select this antenna, the radio goes silent
>

> Mike Bryce, WB8VGE
>   the heathkit shop
> SunLight energy systems
> J e e p