TenTec

Re: [TenTec] 1208 Transverter

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] 1208 Transverter
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@storm.weather.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 22:40:26 -0600
On Mon, 2009-01-12 at 19:45 -0800, David Cuttler wrote:
> I have a 1208 transverter on the way to me, and I would like to use it with
> my Corsair II. The issue  I am concerned about is that one day I will forget
> to turn down the drive to five watts and fry the transverter. I could drive
> it with my OHR-500 QRP rig, but that limits me to CW only.
>
> Is this going to be an issue, or can the transverter stand the higher power
> for a limited time? Any advice would be welcome.
>
> David

The high drive may not blow the attenuator resistors instantly, but it
won't help the RF detector that does the keying.

Perhaps you could hook up a bias to the ALC jack at the same time and
drive down the power with that. Maybe wire up a switch box to select HF
or VHF and include that ALC bias on the switch.

73, Jerry, K0CQ