TenTec

Re: [TenTec] RF Ground

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] RF Ground
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@storm.weather.net>
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 2009 10:42:39 -0600
On Mon, 2009-04-06 at 06:05 -0400, Gary Smith wrote:
> Hi Bob,
>
> My antennae use the same radial field of 60 or so 130' radials. The
> radial plate is 360' from the house. The only connection between the
> house and the radial field is via the coax shield. Are you suggesting
> I run a length of additional wire from one of the radials to the
> grounding point of the service entrance ground rod?
>
> Gary, KA1J

I prefer to isolate the tower from the house wiring during
thunderstorms. When lightning hits with a few kilo amps and the house
wiring is 12 gauge, even a small fraction of those few kilo amps wipes
out house ground wires, radios, and appliances. So I keep those ground
separated unless I need to connect them for coax fed antennas or finding
RF on my key or microphone.

I also prefer that the tower guys not be insulated to spread tower
grounding over a much larger area. Sure for RF the ground field and the
house should be interconnected and the guy wires not resonant, but to
handle kilo amps (and my tower get direct hits being out in the country
and taller than anything in nearly a mile in all directions), I WANT all
those guy wire grounds isolated from the house wiring.

73, Jerry, K0CQ