TenTec

Re: [TenTec] RF Ground

To: Gary@doctorgary.net, Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] RF Ground
From: Billy Cox <aa4nu@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2009 14:45:46 -0400 (EDT)
Gary, do some research on the Polyphaser site, or find a copy
of W. R. Block's book on lightning protection that goes into
details on what to do to PROPERLY protect your setting.

For example, they state when the two points are far apart,
more than 75' IIRC, then running the strap actually adds more
inductance than benefit ... so study what the pros say and
then ponder your situation there.

I am still amazed at the "I'm OK, I disconnect my cables" type
of responses ... I USED to do that until a major strike here
and lots of uglyness with insurance companies.

Short summary is to get insurance again I had to move up to
better/commerical types of protection, and no more "ham lore",
with the results of NO damage here since the strike in 1995.

Commerical stations, FM repeaters and similar don't run out
and disconnect cables when storms approach, and with sound
proper lightning protection ... neither should any of us.

73 de Billy, AA4NU