TenTec

Re: [TenTec] Extra...Extra...

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Extra...Extra...
From: Art Trampler <atrampler@att.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 07:32:49 -0800 (PST)
Congratulations! I still recall the feeling of calling my late father, then
WB2ZGE, and telling him I'd passed, and him leaving work to pick me up outside
the train station on Market St. in Newark. That was 1979, when I went to 221
Varick Street as a kid.

Fortunately my father and brother (N2JT) stepped up to the plate after that,
and even got their vanity callsigns to prove it!

Congratulations again...and don't equate CW with being a "real ham." I am a CW
Ops Mentor, and appreciate that people are finding CW today because they want
to, not because they have to, but can assure you I have met some atrocious
operators on 40 meter CW, where I also met some of the best, like W1ON, running
his Triton II and later, Triton IV. (wove Ten-Tec in as did others).

Off-topic, there is a British definition of a gentleman as being one who "knows
how to play the bagpipes, yet refrains from doing so." Not quite the same, but
similar, are those who ALMOST know how to use a bug or straight key, yet
refrain from doing so. Get on CW and you'll find plenty who think they are real
hams because they are employing a bug or straight key, and hardly communicating
at all.

73,
Art, KØRO