TenTec

Re: [TenTec] New Eagle vs. Used Omni VII

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] New Eagle vs. Used Omni VII
From: d.e.warnick@comcast.net
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2010 14:49:24 +0000 (UTC)

Tough decision, Frank,

I have a used Omni VII on the way. It won because:

1) I gotta have the remote tuning pad. I've got them on my Omni VI+'s and love
them. With keypad and 3 function keys, it's a must

2) 2 transcieve and 1 rcv only antenna. Have no rcv only at this time, but my
6-meter beam is a separate animal and that's just too convenient

3) FSK - It may be on the Eagle, but I didn't see it on the TenTec site specs

4) More IF filter options (on the other side, the Eagle has 127 DSP vs the Omni
VII's 37)

5) Cooling fan for RTTY (not sure how this plays out with the Eagle, but I do
want to contest on RTTY so need long duty cycle)

The biggest thing I saw for the Eaqgle is the key jack on the rear panel. My
Omni D has it on the rear. My Omni VI+'s have it on the rear for the internal
keyer. Why, oh why does the Omni VII have it on the front, and a 1/4" monster
at that. Now I've got to get a right angle plug. Yeah, I could wire one to the
rear panel, but why??? (So, how anal am I, anyway)

Those were my personal quirks. Just give you something to think about. Your
operating style may dictate the Eagle. Either way, you'll have a great rig.

As for the better dynamic range. Here's another anal point for me. It's a
number that I don't think I can hear. Probably won't miss a QSO because of it.
Also, have an idea I may try to remote the thing when I'm on vacation.

Good luck with your decision

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

Dave

WA3F