TenTec

Re: [TenTec] Looking for a rig upgrade...

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Looking for a rig upgrade...
From: Rick Denney <rick@rickdenney.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2008 14:59:02 -0400
Barry N1EU writes...

> I'd definitely avoid the 12+ year old radios on your list since you
> don't sound eager to service them.

If he buys an Omni VI from Ten Tec's used/demo list, it will have been
recently gone through and tweaked up by the factory. While that does
not guarantee success, it does seem to me to reduce the risk to the
point where the thousand bucks he might save would make that small
risk worth it.

I would MUCH rather have a factory-inspected Omni VI+ for about 1.5
kilobucks than a Jupiter or a 745Pro. I might even save enough for an
INRAD roofing filter kit, which would then move it into the top tier
of receiver performance. I have a hard time imagining how one would do
better for $1500.

Of course, these trade-offs should be evaluated in light of the
requirements, and the OP's requirements were maybe a bit too general
to make fine distinctions. But at least he can see the pros and cons
and further refine his thinking accordingly.

Rick, KR9D