TenTec

Radio interfaces

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Radio interfaces
From: reinc@IAEhv.nl (Rein Couperus)
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 1995 01:12:15 +0100
I was having trouble with the TR link to my OMNI VI during CQWW95 CW. I am
not sure
whether the cause of the problem is the RIG or the PROGRAM. The symptoms are as
follows:

1: The interface will not work on 9600 baud.

2: At 4800 baud, the link will run for about 5 to 15 (sometimes 30) minutes,
   and then stop. The freq. display will disappear from the TR-Log screen.
   This problem can be cured with switching the rig off and on..
   (I think this is definitely asking too much during an event like the one
   mentioned above.) An RS 232 indicator in the radio port shows polling
activity, but
   apparently no data...

3: At 1200 baud, same effect as in point 2:, but THE PROCESSOR OF THE OMNI
   LOCKS UP AFTER A FEW MINUTES, SO THE KEYING INPUT + THE FRONT PANEL IS
DEAD !!         Happened during some of the first QSO's during CQWW.
   Remedy: switching rig off and on again.

After this had happened in the middle of an exchange 5 times I decided to
pull the RS 232 cable off and live without the nice band map display TRlog
provides. (Made a reasonable s&p lp score on 80 anyhow, but that's another
story).

After the test, I changed the RS 232 cable to 3 wires only, with no positive
effect (just RXD, TXD and GRND).

Any comments? Anybody else have the problem? Or is the rig firmware broken??
Anybody without this problem?

-Rein, PA0RCT @PI8ZAA.NOB.NLD.EU,  reinc@iaehv.nl