TenTec

[TenTec] The demise of manufacture

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] The demise of manufacture
From: larrygibbs@ibm.net (larrygibbs@ibm.net)
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 1998 16:01:53 EST
> >I would never go so far as to say anything would make everyone
> >happy.
> >
> >In fact, I would be bothered greatly by it if Ten-Tec
> >incorporated the useless circuitry needed for AM, especially if
> >they did it at the expense of something else that would either
> >enhance the CW or receiver operation.
> >
> >Why would one need AM capability?  Even HF foreign broadcast
> >stations are moving away from it.  Can't one do the same with USB
> >or LSB?
> >
> >73,
> >Dale, kg5u
> >

> >>Now if we can just get Ten-Tec to add AM to their rigs we would
> >all be
> >>happy!
> >>Nick
> >> ----------
In my estimation, the AM found on SSB rigs isn't worth the time of day.
My old Drake T4X worked pretty well with controlled carrier modulation,
but a later Kenwood required critical adjustments.

Anyone serious about AM should probably either homebrew or restore one
of the neat vintage rigs such as the Johnson Valiant or a Heathkit Apache.

73, Larry

Amateur Radio W3UIO; Team OS/2
Running Ten-Tec at Warp 4