TenTec

[TenTec] OPTION 3 upgrade

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] OPTION 3 upgrade
From: ac5aa@juno.com (ac5aa@juno.com)
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 1999 20:17:43 -0500
Unfortunately, they use "foam-in-place" packaging which is about the
worst for shock transmission.  I know our company only uses that
packaging as a last resort or on pre-production models for which no
packaging has yet been designed.  The advantage to their approach is that
it saves packaging design cost (and they don't ship the 100's of
thousands that our units ship) which must be defrayed in product cost.
The disadvantage is that shock transmission to the product is apparently
more than what the system design can take as explained by the loose
filters and such...  However, I'm not a packaging engineer (though I've
conducted tests with them on computer products), so I can't say for sure.
 In my case, my Omni IV+, Centaur, Centurion, and Model 238 have all
arrived with none of the problems described.

        73, Duane    AC5AA

On Mon, 02 Aug 1999 09:21:15 -0500 "George T. Baker" <w5yr@swbell.net>
writes:

> All this talk of mechanical damage to TenTec rigs in shipment raises
> the
> question in my mind: how are the rigs being packed if they
> apparently
> suffer so severely from "normal" shipping abuse? If filters and
> xtals are
> being kicked out of sockets, it is a good thing that no fire bottles
> are
> involved!  ;^)
>
> Maybe it would be best to ship the rigs with all plug-in devices in
> separate well-padded package and let the user do the final
> installation?
> I think that I would prefer that over having the stuff rattling
> around
> loose in the box during the shipment and being damaged even more.
>
> 72/73, George        AMA 98452                R/C since
> 1964
> Amateur Radio W5YR, in the 53rd year and it just keeps getting
> better!
> AutoPOWER Systems, Fairview, TX (30 mi NE Dallas)  Collin County
> QRP-L QRP-ARCI FISTS NORCAL ZOMBIE ARS 10-X  33.2 N 96.6 W EM13RE
>

> "
>
> --

Duane A. Calvin, AC5AA
Austin, Texas