TenTec

[TenTec] Mics in general

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Mics in general
From: aa8ve@juno.com (JEFF S JOHNSON)
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 1999 14:38:36 -0400

Well said Carl, You can't put 50 pounds of potatoes in a 10 pound sack!
Another thing to remember is the freq. response of the rig audio to rf
output ratio. I've done some playing around with an audio generator
running it directly into the mic. input and sweep it through the audio
span. That way I can watch the ALC and rf power curve and peak at various
frequencies like a rise starting at 300hz and peaking at 1200 to 1500hz
then slop down at 3500 or so(which would match the window of a 2.4kc
receiver as well). Then run the audio generator through an amplifier and
speaker into the mic. plugged into the rig with ALC and all setup
properly and sweep the audio up again and see where the peak rf output
is. If the mic. has the same rise and fall as the rig then I would think
it's a good match as far as being efficient.  Another  way to look at it
is do the same thing using the square wave in the generator and watch the
envelope on a scope.  As for being efficient with the response of the rig
audio pass to rf output I can see a difference. Now I don't know how
proper this test is but what I see does match with a lot of things I hear
about mics, like I tried a D-104 the peak was a bit high, Yeasu desk mic.
peak was lower, Turner 2+2 pretty darn good, and yes the TT705 was best
of the ones I have. One can see that the audio response of the mic. does
have an effect on the rig and the received sig. on the other end.  I
think the 705 is well matched to a Ten Tec rig as far as typical audio
response.  Those with voices ranging above or below that can benefit from
different style mikes to bring their voice into a more efficient part of
the spectrum.   Now all this has little to do with sound or fidelity but
more with ssb efficiency.  I've always thought of good ssb audio as good
telephone quality not broadcast quality and for those who enjoy good
broadcast quality equipment there are a lot of great ol' AM rigs which I
enjoy as well.

Wow, didn't mean to run away with this, I guess it don't take much to
thrill me!

73   -Jeff-    diddlede dardedar