TenTec

[TenTec] I want a really good receiver

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] I want a really good receiver
From: cshyde@yahoo.com (Carl Hyde)
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 12:02:43 -0700 (PDT)
Yes it may be but you have to remember that the DSP
filter affects only the final derived audio. The
Pagasus is inferior to the Corsair, the omni V, Omni
VI  and a lot of other radios in the basic
specifications for a receiver like Noise Floor, AGC
Threshold, 100Khz Blocking, Receive Sensitivity, Local
Oscillator Noise Spacing, Front End Selectivity, Wide
and Narrow Dynamic Range and Adjacent Channel
Interference. Noise blankers are only meant to supress
narrow band noise like ignition noise etc. Noise
Blankers are useless for anything else. Don't get me
wrong the Pegasus is a great radio for the price and
for the intended function but its receiver
performance, by vurtue of it being a synthesized
receiver will never aproach a good tube receiver or
the venerable Corsair II/Omni V and VI. But for its
intended use and its price its great.  A permiability
tuned oscillator will always beat a synthesized VFO as
far as injected noise. A silicon receiver will always
be noisier than a tube receiver. Its just plain
physics.  I have worked many Pegs and I think they
sound great on the air and they will work 98% of all
the stations on the air. To work the other 1% is
another $2,000 and to work the remaining 1% is another
$10,000. It it worth the price?  Well to some it is.
For the rest of us the Pegasus and the Scout are
great.

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
> > Date: Tuesday, October 26, 1999 4:33 AM
> > Subject: Re: [TenTec] I want a really good
> receiver
> >

> > >What about the Pegasus?  It is said to have a
> great
> > >receiver.

> really
> measure

> V for
> about
> realign

> good

> > >=====
> > >-Bob Wooldridge KC0DXF
> > >-Web Mail: kc0dxf@yahoo.com
> > >-Web: http://www.qsl.net/kc0dxf/
> > >-See Also: http://www.anet-stl.com/~mcsg/
> > >-Via HAM radio repeaters in St. Louis: 146.85,
> 442.10

> > >Bid and sell for free at
> http://auctions.yahoo.com
> > >
> > >--
> > >FAQ on WWW:
> http://www.contesting.com/tentecfaq.htm
> > >Submissions:              tentec@contesting.com
> > >Administrative requests:
> tentec-REQUEST@contesting.com
> > >Problems:
> owner-tentec@contesting.com
> > >Search:
> http://www.contesting.com/km9p/search.htm
> > >

> > --
> > FAQ on WWW:
> http://www.contesting.com/tentecfaq.htm
> > Submissions:              tentec@contesting.com
> > Administrative requests:
> tentec-REQUEST@contesting.com
> > Problems:
> owner-tentec@contesting.com
> > Search:
> http://www.contesting.com/km9p/search.htm
> >

> --
> FAQ on WWW:
> http://www.contesting.com/tentecfaq.htm
> Administrative requests:
> tentec-REQUEST@contesting.com
> Problems:
> owner-tentec@contesting.com
> Search:
> http://www.contesting.com/km9p/search.htm

=====
Carl S.HYDE
W2CSH
cshyde@yahoo.com
Eagles May Soar, But Weasles Never Get Sucked Into Jet Engines!

Politics: From the Greek word Poli, meaning many and
the word tics, meaning blood sucking parasites.